Lead

Mar 31 17 12:17 AM

Tags : :

Today is Transgender Day of Visibility. It is a day to battle stereotypes, create awareness and celebate all the lovely, wonderful, cool, strong trans people out there. It can also be lonely day. If you long to express your true gender identity, but can't, today can be a reminder of that. It can feel lonely.

(I know that some/many in here are not trans, but crossdreaming is a kind of gender identity anyway, and crossdreamers can be invisible in a similar way.)

So do you sometimes not feel truly visible? Does it feel more acute today? I'm not trans, or even a crossdreamer. I am married to a crossdreamer and closet trans woman today that closet feels extra cramped for us both. So I wanted to reach out to all of you with a hug <3

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 1 17 8:54 AM

Feeling invisible was a reoccurring theme throughout most of my pre-transition life. I often felt like I was acting while in the presence of other people, and that nobody really got to know the real me. That has changed dramatically for me in transition. I made the decision rather consciously that I wasn't going to hold back anything, that I was going to be utterly authentic in everything I did. People were going to see the real me, regardless of how they might react.

My thinking on this was pretty simple: If I was going to blow up my old life, I might as well go all out, rather than half heatedly. I wasn't willing to make all that sacrifice just to jump from one box to another. My fashion choices as well my entire lifestyle has reflected this thinking.

Yet, I quickly discovered that this way is pretty controversial, even within parts of the trans community. I quickly discovered that there is an unwritten cookbook on how to be trans, and the primary rule is do nothing that will draw unnecessary attention to oneself. I totally get why some might find that personally attractive. Many trans long to live a cis life. It's harder to convince relatives and old acquaintances of the tragic nobility of being born in the wrong body when you are out partying in night clubs in a mini skirt. And for some, being low key is a matter of personal safety, especially in more rural areas. But many have projected their personal needs and choices on the rest of the trans community. There are even self appointed trans police who think it is their duty to protect the entire trans community from those of those of us who choose not to be so invisible. Frankly, I think a lot of that is internalized transphobia.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help