Lead

Mar 14 17 9:08 AM

Tags : :

NPR.org/New sHour --

Then search "transgender."

Here's an introductory link: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/breaking-common-misconceptions-gender/

These links on PBS provide an interesting window into the current state of editorial focus.

"Trans" these days seems to be a trendy editorial focus. Let me suggest that this is in part to the liberation movements of the 60's and later -- Civil rights, feminists, gay/queer . . .  The essentialist stereotypes are being displaced by a more inclusive diversity of personal identities.

In all fairness a lot of these stories hinge around the issue of gender and restroom access -- in the South characteristically. Trans issues are not about using the restroom. Nonetheless, some would create an issue, and PBS covers the litigation.

Of particular interest I think is the coverage of trans in the US military, and comparisons to policy in the military of other countries. When I was in the military (1966/70) finding women's effects in your personal clothing was viewed as proof of homosexuality -- and grounds for a Dishonorable Discharge. Thankfully, things have changed.

I'm linking PBS in my blog because their handling of trans issues bears sharing.

Allison Wunderland's Transcend Dance
http://allisontranscend.blogspot.com/

Last Edited By: jackmolay Mar 14 17 1:10 PM. Edited 3 times

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 14 17 1:08 PM

I fixed the links.

If you are having problems with links like these, remove the existing link by marking it and clicking on the remove link button. Then mark the text you would like to use as a link and click on the link button.

From what I have seen PBS has given a good overview over the status quo in both transgender research and trans activism. You are right, there is a lot of good stuff here.

The bathroom issue should have been a non-issue as no trans woman has ever threatened any woman or child in a women's rest rooms. I am sure many of the most active anti-trans activists know this. They are using this as an excuse for persecuting trans women so that their suffering stops other trans people come out and threaten the traditionalists' views of gender and gender roles.

(The TERFs are helping them, because they too feel threatened by a complexity that goes beyond the simple binary of born man/born woman, i.e. born oppressor/born oppressed.)

A similar tactic was used in the Deep South and Apartheid South Africa. The argument for bathroom segregation was that black men and women were potential sexual predators that could threaten white women and children. By presenting black people as primitive and hypersexual the rulers seemed to legitimize the tactics used to  keep people of color out of power and down in the hierarchy.  Bathroom segregation became a powerful and visible symbol of this hierarchy.

This is what happens now too: Trans women are presented as potential male sex perverts ("autogynephiles"). They are -- like people of color -- presented as "the Other", outsiders that threaten the comfort and safety of white, nationalist, "proper", America.

The irony is, of course, that the real danger to women and children in America are not trans women, but non-transgender men, often the type of men who now attack trans-women. 

Last Edited By: jackmolay Mar 14 17 1:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 14 17 4:59 PM

I fixed the links.

If you are having problems with links like these, remove the existing link by marking it and clicking on the remove link button. Then mark the text you would like to use as a link and click on the link button.

--------------------------

Thanks Jack -- I kinda sorta thought that's what I was doing. Paste text from the clipboard. I can do this! LMAO

There's a tightly wound thread in radical feminist narrative, nominally "the masculine hegemony." According to this line of assertion a cis-M is a hegemonic interloper regardless of gender orientation. Ironically, this line of argument can be turned on the radical feminist by drawing comparisons between rejecting essentialist arguments regarding the "intrinsic" role of women and pointing out this this rejection of essentialist dictates applied to women should equally apply to men -- who essentially shouldn't be stereotyped as the enemy.

This line of reason would seemingly especially apply to cis-M who opt for a gender presentation falling somewhere between the poles of the hetero-normative dyad.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help