Lead

Mar 8 17 7:29 PM

Tags : :

My current position is that I shouldn't need to change who I am in order to be who I am,

If that sounds tautological --

Over the course of the past couple years, and mostly a lifetime of hiding in the closet, I've developed a line of inquiry that valorizes, validates, and legitimates gender presentation diversity, Socio/culturally this entials nibbling at the edges of gender bifurcation. These days I present as "trans whatever" -- a victim of testosterone poisoning, but problematizing the "hetero-normative dyad."

Today is International Women's Day. I'm wearing red. Even the cis-F recognize where I'm coming from. I don't worry about my Adam's apple, my mammaries, if the new wig is going to work with my old clothes. I can "pass" as female, but it's a costume. Transition for me is about deconstructing the gender stereotypes. I know cis-F, totally at ease with their gender, who shoot guns, drive trucks/tractors, run chainsaws, and stand to pee off the transom when out in the boat sturgeon fishing. These are not "dykes" -- not some contortion of F to M but rather just plain females who are comfortable with their gender presentation -- cammo, boots, etc.

Society/culture seems to bifurcate gender so egregiously that we in the midst of the gender presentation continuum get trounced by what amounts to gender dogma.,

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Mar 8 17 9:00 PM

Allison, There is no one recipe here, no one size fits all. We are all different, and we all require different solutions. As my therapist likes to say, it's all about each of us finding our own comfort zone. I think we are all better (CIS as well as trans) when we step away from conformity to a gender binary and let everybody find their own path. It's all good!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 15 17 9:44 AM

April wrote:
Allison, There is no one recipe here, no one size fits all. We are all different, and we all require different solutions. As my therapist likes to say, it's all about each of us finding our own comfort zone. I think we are all better (CIS as well as trans) when we step away from conformity to a gender binary and let everybody find their own path. It's all good!

My therapist likes to whack me up side the head, "Jeez, for one who hates boxes, you certainly have a shit-load of boxes in your baggage!"

Recently my reading has run toward natal development and the male/female biology, morphology, gender-mapping stages in week 8 and week 15. XY fetus gets testosterone exposed from mother. The mother may not provide sufficient testosterone OR the fetus may be resistant to the effect. At week 8 this process affects development of the genital tubercle into phallus/scrotum. At week 15 the process results in "gender mapping" in the brain.

The upshot of the whole discussion in the field is that designating "sex" based upon the birth configuation of genitals has its limitations. Personally I see effects of "testosterone deficiency" during natal development in myself, both in terms of physical traits, and also in gender-mapping.

This puts me in the middle: "cis-sexual / trans-whatever" --

Dr. Wu in her Harvard monograph sheds light on the continuum between the hetero-normative dyad. Linked from my blog.

Harvard.edu -- Gender, Science, Biology & Identity Between the (Gender) Lines: the Science of Transgender Identity http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/gender-lines-science-transgender-identity/

by Katherine J. Wu
figures by Brad Wierbowski

Allison Wunderland's Transcend Dance
http://allisontranscend.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help