Lead

Feb 27 17 1:17 AM

Tags : :

I see an increasing number of articles that document how trans women and trans men seemingly change their sexual orientation after they transition.

The fact that a lot of trans women report increased attraction to men post-transitioning has often been dismissed as lies or some kind of "autogynephilic" need for male affirmation of their feminity. But we now see more and more reports on androphilic trans women coming out as bisexual.

There are several possible explanations for all this:

1. Hormone therapy triggers sexual responses that were weak or not present before.
2. Presenting as the target sex means that the trans woman or trans man overcomes internalized transphobia or homophobia.  (That may even apply to gynephilic trans men who start living as gay men or the androphilic trans women who hook up with women)

The Trans Women Who Become Lesbians After Years as Gay Men

Alison isn't entirely sure why her sexual orientation changed after she began living according to her true gender identity. "I was in a different gender position," she said. Because she didn't identify as male anymore, she suggested, she could "conceive of women as possible romantic or sexual interests" without having to stomach her "disgust at male heterosexuality" or having to view herself as complicit in it. She also noted that having sex with men before her transition made her feel more feminine: "With men, I could be smaller and feminine and be fucked, which I didn't conceive as possible with women." After she started living as a woman, that was no longer an issue for her.

Here's a truly mindboggling quote:
Alison [MTF trans woman who used to love men] isn't entirely sure why her sexual orientation changed after she began living according to her true gender identity. "I was in a different gender position," she said. Because she didn't identify as male anymore, she suggested, she could "conceive of women as possible romantic or sexual interests" without having to stomach her "disgust at male heterosexuality" or having to view herself as complicit in it. She also noted that having sex with men before her transition made her feel more feminine: "With men, I could be smaller and feminine and be fucked, which I didn't conceive as possible with women." After she started living as a woman, that was no longer an issue for her.

Eat that, Blanchard!
Dr. Walter Bockting, a professor of medical psychology at Columbia University who specializes in LGBT health, says there isn't a clear consensus on whether hormones influence sexual orientation. "Pubertal hormones, including testosterone, play an important role in sexual development," he explained. However, "the role of hormones in the development of gender identity or sexual orientation is less clear and remains unknown."

Last Edited By: jackmolay Mar 27 17 3:26 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Mar 4 17 11:42 AM

Jack, My arousal interest in men seems to climb by the week. I believe it was always there, but I had a high level of discomfort with the thought of me being a homosexual, so I repressed it. Some of this might have resulted from the chemical changes in my brain from being on HRT, but I think it has more to do with me appearing increasingly female, since a lot of this change has happened in just the last year. The bottom line here, is that I have internalized a lot of homophobia and my more feminine appearance has freed me from it. Why couldn't there also be heterosexual phobia of some sort?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 5 17 1:26 AM

I experience a change of perspective when I am relating to people as Bobbi. I am free to express all sorts of things that I previously suppressed. As a guy I could not bring myself to hug and kiss a male friend, but that inhibition is totally gone while I am Bobbi. 
I enjoy the attention of men as Bobbi, I feel sexy when I am admired or desired.
I feel a shift in what I think of as arousal... it's weird but as Bobbi I think about desire in a different way. I am not thinking about what I want to do to someone, I am thinking about being held, kissed, controlled, and penetrated. 
Guess that makes me Bi. :) maybe the inhibitions I have as a guy are totally based on my upbringing so my preferences shift in order to maintain the gender binary.  No idea but I know if I did start living full time as Bobbi I would Very likely date men.
what does R Blanchard have to say about that?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 5 17 2:00 AM

It seems we do not have the language we need to understand sexual orientation. The one we have now, which is based on the idea that men and women are exclusively oriented towards one or the other is clearly wrong, and the inclusion of a bisexual group only helps a little.

Maybe we should talk about several levels of sexual orientation istead? That there is a bottom level where we all are bisexual/polysexual (as Freud actually believed) and then a level above with more distinct sexual preferences?  The upper level is then strongly influenced by culture and personal experiences???

I don' know.

What I do know is that until the lat 19th century noone talked about being homosexual or heterosexual. The main way of looking at this from Antiquity and upwards was in the sense of active/masculine and passive/feminine. A man was "straight" regardless of who he slept with as long as he was the active partner. This is the case even today in many countries.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 5 17 10:26 AM

Jack wrote: "active/masculine and passive/feminine"

Yep. That's a key experience for me in understanding my sexuality. Probably why I have never done very well in the dating scene when I presented as male. Women pick up on this and realize that this guy is not going to give them the experience that they are looking for.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 5 17 12:00 PM

"It seems we do not have the language we need to understand sexual orientation." - Jack I completely agree with this. The traditional view here is that orientation is only about the people who arouse us, and if we aroused by anything else, it has to be a fetish. That is something that is only supposed to happen with biological males according to people like Blanchard. But for me, it isn't just about which people who arouse me. It also all about the mode in which I have sex, with all of its physical and emotional implications. It sometimes literally feels like I have wrong equipment to do what my soul is telling me to do.That is my body dysphoria. So I create in my mind a body where the aspirations of my soul can be carried out. Who I am with is less important than how I relate to that person in a physical and emotional sense. If I am with a guy, I am the girl on the bottom, and if I with a girl, I am still the girl on the bottom.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help