Lead

Jan 24 17 3:45 AM

Tags : :

Hollywood does a forced feminisation movie? The Trailer is finally here for this new sexchange exploitation movie, which has been called transphobic. This film has been hanging around in limbo for a while now suffering quite a bit of controversy. The original title was Tom Boy, then it was (Re)Assignment and now it's been released as The Assignment.

I have put the trailer of this film up on my blog here.

It looks rather silly, the film, not my blog.
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Jan 24 17 11:52 PM

The trailer is.. ehr... peculiar, to say the least. The pre-op assasin does not look much like a man, and the post-op assasin just carry on doing what he has always done. In other words: As a crossdreamer fantasy it does not work. Or maybe I am wrong. Let's see.

But as you have said before: This is NOT a movie about a male to female transgender person, and should not be treated as such.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 26 17 11:40 AM

Apart from Aliens which Hill produced I can't say any of his previous films for me have carried any weight....maybe The Warriors but I was a lot younger then. I'm not holding my breath for a great movie with The Assignment. Bit of a naff concept if you ask me. It appears to be just another one of those odd but not that good movies, mind you I haven't seen it so maybe I should save my judgement......you never know 😊

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 28 17 6:48 AM

The first issue of the comic is out

The first issue of the comic book contains an interesting interview with Walter Hill, the director of the movie. He makes it very clear that this is not as story about a transgender person.

Last Edited By: jackmolay Jan 28 17 6:59 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 8 17 10:31 AM

I have only seen a trailer for this movie ONCE, and I will NEVER see this movie, but here is my immediate reaction:

This movie is so sad! Why does Hollywood hate transgender people so much! Are they all so stupid?

Why does society view the lose of a male body as terrible punishment?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 8 17 12:08 PM

I don't think the makers of this film hate anybody, they've just made a film in the style they love which is B movies. Don't let it bother you its just a film at the end of the day.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 9 17 3:56 AM

I've not seen this film and probably won't... I agree that getting too angry without knowing more about it might be considered over the top but its legitimate to be concerned that a section of the community might be misrepresented or even worse, that that misrepresentation be celebrated in some way.... I'm sure there would be an uproar if the Ku Klux Klan were presented as heroes of a film.. so I'm not sure that saying 'its just a film' is a valid defence of all films.

These are just general pounts; I'm not going to comented specifically on a film I havn't seen.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 9 17 8:24 AM

Pipx: it is a valid defence for any B type movie, any fictional movie and any scifi comic strip, it's not real. There is of course an easier alternative if people find offense, stop reading about it and don't watch it.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 9 17 1:30 PM

Err, No, any art form is open to critique, As a would be writer.. I don't claim to be above criticism and if I produced work that portrayed a group of people in an inaccurately unflattering way I would be open to criticism

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 9 17 3:57 PM

Pipx: I think for a film like this people are looking too deeply. Its quite literally as I said, just a film. I'd be interested to know if you see it, post about the trans issues it touches on.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 10 17 1:44 AM

Exactly my point Cheryl, it's comic strip stuff as I said earlier ! Thanks for the review! It's not offensive to create this type of movie as many people keep bleating about. Glad to hear it was fun to watch.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 10 17 1:49 AM

No, your point is that no one should NEVER take offence for a film. Cheryl's point is there is nothing offensive in THIS film.

Thanks for the review, Cheryl.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 10 17 3:24 AM

My point is exactly what Cheryl said as did I, comic strip stuff and no I don't think taking offense is called for in any fictional film. If you don't like the sound of something don't watch it, it's quite simple.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Apr 10 17 4:26 AM

So you think, for example, a film glorifying Racism is Ok? Obviously I'm just making general points now in answer to your suggestion that no film can ever be criticised on the grounds that it's "just a film". Films are "out there" and influence people's thinking whether I see them or not. For sure a film can be defended on the grounds they are not offensive, as CHERYL has done and because she has seen this film I will bow to her judgement until I see it or read alternative viewpoints from people who have seen it. But 'oh it's just a film' is not a valid defence of offensive material

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 10 17 4:42 AM

Check what I posted Pipx: rubbercripple 20 hours ago Pipx: it is a valid defence for any B type movie, any fictional movie and any scifi comic strip, it's not real. There is of course an easier alternative if people find offense, stop reading about it and don't watch it. I'll stand by that any day.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Apr 10 17 9:57 AM

There you go again, twisting the words of a post! I have not suggested you cannot read! I posted it to remind you I did not glorify racism. No I don't think we will agree. 🍻 cheers 🙂

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 10 17 10:04 AM

This film sounds like Ed Wood with a slightly higher budget. When deciding to see a film in the theater, I tend to read a lot of reviews before hand, both good and bad. This is clearly not a film I would see. It is attempting to exploit an issue dear to my heart in a very negative way. There is plenty of wonderful opportunities not yet tapped to tell transgender stories. But these idea of feminization as punishment has been done several times in recent years. This particular film is even more bizarre than most of them because the punishment seems absolutely ridiculous for the crime it is was supposed to address. I would challenge the argument that B movies don't influence people's thinking. Too many people these days get their ideas about things from popular media.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help