Lead

Nov 16 15 11:29 PM

Tags : :

As members of the old Crossdream Life forum may have noticed, it has been haunted by a lot of error codes lately, and many have not been able to log in.

I have unfortunately not been able to fix this problem. I do have all administrative rights to the bulletin board software over at crossdreamlife.com, but I have not access to the server. In this case the problem is caused by a server upgrade, which makes our version of phpBB erratic. I have not been able to reach Jason, who controls the server. I am sure we will hear from him again, but that might take time, and I am afraid that we do not have that much time.

I have therefore decided to move Crossdream Life over to a different kind of service, where we do not have to run software on our own server, and where we can get technical support from people who work with forums on a 24/7 basis. I looked at a lot of possible solutions, and found that Lefora has the most attractive offer. Let me put it this way: You can do a lot of things in this forum, that you could not in the old one.

Please be patient now in the beginning, while we adapt to the new software.

Last Edited By: jackmolay Nov 17 15 1:43 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Nov 17 15 11:07 AM

Jack, thanks for the explanation. I'd been unable to log in to Crossdream Life recently, and was getting frustrated. I'd get error codes, which were only visible for a fraction of a second in my browser before I'd see that my login attempt failed.

When I went through the Lefora registration process a few minutes ago, there was a form menu for selecting gender which had only two choices, male and female. This is also the case on the "About Me/Profile" page after registration. I've been more comfortable with selecting "other" elsewhere, but it's not a big deal for me. I'm sure someone else will be offended or angered by the lack of other options. Is there a way to customize this menu to include additional categories?

Last Edited By: mutanmion Nov 17 15 11:09 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 17 15 11:53 PM

This was not a decision I took lightly, I can assure you, but I had to act fast if we were to stop people from abandoning the community alltogether.

You are right, there ought to be more than two gender options. I cannot control this as an administrator, but I will ask Lefora to do something about it.

Jack

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 18 15 9:33 AM

jackmolay wrote:
This was not a decision I took lightly, I can assure you, but I had to act fast if we were to stop people from abandoning the community alltogether.

You are right, there ought to be more than two gender options. I cannot control this as an administrator, but I will ask Lefora to do something about it.

Jack


 

I'm sure that youdidn't take this slightly, and was guessing that you had limited control. Like I said, it's not a big deal to me personally. It's better that this forum survive and function without maddening server-side problems until this Profile detail can be addressed.

Facebook has a simple solution— they offer "Custom" as a third choice in addition to "Male" and "Female"; choosing "Custom" reveals a text field which can be filled with whatever gender identification you want. That's better than offering a long list of other, uncustomizable options.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 18 15 9:47 AM

mutanmion wrote:
Facebook has a simple solution— they offer "Custom" as a third choice in addition to "Male" and "Female"; choosing "Custom" reveals a text field which can be filled with whatever gender identification you want. That's better than offering a long list of other, uncustomizable options.

Not here. FB offers me only the two traditionnal options.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 18 15 10:31 AM

Orlanda wrote:

mutanmion wrote:
Facebook has a simple solution— they offer "Custom" as a third choice in addition to "Male" and "Female"; choosing "Custom" reveals a text field which can be filled with whatever gender identification you want. That's better than offering a long list of other, uncustomizable options.

Not here. FB offers me only the two traditionnal options.

I think it depends on the language setting on your profile settings. Not all languages allow for the custom option yet, I think.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 18 15 11:06 AM

jackmolay wrote:
As members of the old Crossdream Life forum may have noticed, it has been haunted by a lot of error codes lately, and many have not been able to log in.
 

In fact, I never noticed any error...

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 20 15 10:08 AM

It is kind of a shame, is there any chance that the old content can be migrated over here?
There was rather a lot of rambling conversations, but also a lot of cool and fun stuff over there.
Or failing that, hopefully the login issue can somehow be fixed so that we can at least edit/revise the old content if we want to..

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 20 15 10:25 AM

If there is a particular thread you like, you could try cutting and pasting a portion of it here. I suppose it would work. I guess part of the problem is that each page of the old site only showed 10 contributions and conversations had scores of pages.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 27 15 7:50 PM

"I once was lost but now I'm found . . . was blind but now I see . . . "

I've been linking from blogspot.com -- Jack Molay link. In fact, I just realized I rely on that link to find this site rather than a bookmark. (too many devices)

New to this community and Captcha has been whacking my posted replies on the blogs. It's frustrating to compose a statement, extended, citations . . . and then have it disappear.

Frustrating not to be able to use my name in the Lefora site -- A signature link might serve as a prosthetic to ID. LMAO

We deleted a reactionary comment here. Let me apologize for the noxious hours it was posted. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 8 16 1:01 AM

I have still not been able to get hold of Jason, the owner of the old forum. When I do, we will make sure that people are more easily led to this part of the Web.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 1 16 2:38 PM

Seems like the old forum is now bouncing you straight to this one. Is there any way to access it now if you want to get to your previous content?

Failing that has anyone got an archive copy of the database or something. I guess I wrote quite a lot there that I'd be reluctant to see totally go up in smoke, even if it did start to get spam infested. 

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 1 16 3:26 PM

Xora wrote:
Seems like the old forum is now bouncing you straight to this one. Is there any way to access it now if you want to get to your previous content?

Failing that has anyone got an archive copy of the database or something. I guess I wrote quite a lot there that I'd be reluctant to see totally go up in smoke, even if it did start to get spam infested. 

Jack made a post on this here:

http://crossdreamlife.lefora.com/topic/442/Re-The-old-Crossdream-Life?page=-1?page=-1#.V09txfmDFBc

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 1 16 6:38 AM

The Wayback Machine has copies of discussions on the old forum

Just to let you know that I am still waiting for Jason. He has promised me a copy of the old site database, and I will find a way of making it available as soon as I have it.

In the meantime you can go to the Wayback machine and read some of the old threads there:

EDIT Here is the correct address:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.crossdreamlife.com

The Wayback version is in no way complete, I'm afraid.

Last Edited By: jackmolay Sep 1 16 10:30 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help