And I'd get him to swap our places,
Be running up that road,
Be running up that hill,
Be running up that building.
If I only could, oh...

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 16 15 12:45 PM

Slightly off topic, as this is not a video that makes me crossdream, but that is about crossing genders.

This is my fellow countryman Morten Harket of a-ha fame.

Harket said this about the video:

“The song is about finding out who you are and that it’s OK to make mistakes in life. A human is a complex being and has to make compromises when interacting with other people. But only if you are honest with yourself and take conscious decisions”

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jan 13 16 8:31 AM

RIP David Bowie

David did more than anyone to take the Vevet Underground's fascination with trans overground, where it has remained as an element in rock culture, alongside all the macho bullshit. he often dressed androgynously or in drag, and there are many trans references in his lyrics, perhaps most famously in the raunchy hit Rebel, Rebel from 1973's Aladdin Sane

Bowie communicated an opening up of the self, a liberation from rigid self-image and being stuck on the ground of limiting mundane circumstances and conservative social convention (i.e. my sort of artist!!). This is portrayed particularly on the 1971 album Hunky Dory, with personal change desribd on Changes, and a rising new culture on Oh You Pretty Things. A freeing up of the self naturally includes a freeing up of gender and sexuality, and Bowie certainly included these aspects. Boys Keep Swinging, from 1979's Lodger, presents masculinity as an adopted attitude, and its video teasingly features mtf drag. A favorite of mine is Lady Stardust, from the famous 1972 album Ziggy Stardust. Lady Stardust is a gender-bending portrayal of the beautiful androgynous English pop star Marc Bolan. Similarly, Queen Bitch on Hunky Dory is an en femme portrayal of Lou Reed (Bowie produced Lou's trans-sexy album Transformer, which included Walk on the Wild Side).

and i find the music, especially on the early 70s albums (start with Hunky-Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane), very crossdreamy sexy. xxx

n.b. sorry i'm not providing inbedded vids - sometimes i just can't be bothered with all that fiddly stuff. all the tracks i mention are on You Tube, etc. x

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 16 16 10:28 AM

This beautiful and under-known song pushes the deep buttons for me. It's one of the songs that almost always makes me weep when I'm alone at home and drowning in a mood:
[url=

"I could have been wild and I could have been free 
But nature played this trick on me..."

-The Smiths

Last Edited By: mutanmion Jan 16 16 10:33 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jan 16 16 10:34 AM

jackmolay wrote:
Slightly off topic, as this is not a video that makes me crossdream, but that is about crossing genders.

This is my fellow countryman Morten Harket of a-ha fame.

Harket said this about the video:

“The song is about finding out who you are and that it’s OK to make mistakes in life. A human is a complex being and has to make compromises when interacting with other people. But only if you are honest with yourself and take conscious decisions”

Jack, that's a gorgeous song. :-)

-The Smiths

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 16 16 10:42 AM

Deborah Kate wrote:
RIP David Bowie

David did more than anyone to take the Vevet Underground's fascination with trans overground, where it has remained as an element in rock culture, alongside all the macho bullshit. he often dressed androgynously or in drag, and there are many trans references in his lyrics, perhaps most famously in the raunchy hit Rebel, Rebel from 1973's Aladdin Sane

Bowie communicated an opening up of the self, a liberation from rigid self-image and being stuck on the ground of limiting mundane circumstances and conservative social convention (i.e. my sort of artist!!). This is portrayed particularly on the 1971 album Hunky Dory, with personal change desribd on Changes, and a rising new culture on Oh You Pretty Things. A freeing up of the self naturally includes a freeing up of gender and sexuality, and Bowie certainly included these aspects. Boys Keep Swinging, from 1979's Lodger, presents masculinity as an adopted attitude, and its video teasingly features mtf drag. A favorite of mine is Lady Stardust, from the famous 1972 album Ziggy Stardust. Lady Stardust is a gender-bending portrayal of the beautiful androgynous English pop star Marc Bolan. Similarly, Queen Bitch on Hunky Dory is an en femme portrayal of Lou Reed (Bowie produced Lou's trans-sexy album Transformer, which included Walk on the Wild Side).

and i find the music, especially on the early 70s albums (start with Hunky-Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane), very crossdreamy sexy. xxx

n.b. sorry i'm not providing inbedded vids - sometimes i just can't be bothered with all that fiddly stuff. all the tracks i mention are on You Tube, etc. x

There were so many memorials for Bowie around where I live. One of my favorite homages to him was Jessica Lange's cover of "Is There Life on Mars?" from the TV show American Horror Story: Freak Show, from 2014. When I first saw it, I was awestruck. The context of the show makes it more powerful, but if you haven't seen it, it's worth it:
" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jan 16 16 11:35 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that no one seems to have added Lola by the Kinks, nor Layla (Derek and the Dominoes) or Eric's acoustic version.  It's his composition after all!  (Yes, I know that Layla was written about a cis woman but thoughts of her still give me shivers up my spine.)

[url=

[url=

[url=

Last Edited By: Emmasweet Jan 16 16 11:38 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 17 16 11:14 AM

Is anyone here familiar with the song "I'm a Boy" by the Who, from 1966?

Is anyone here familiar with the song "I'm a Boy" by the Who, from 1966? It's essentailly about a boy being subjected to a form of forced feminization. I remember this from my college daze a long long time ago. 
" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Here are the lyrics:
"One girl was called Jean MarieAnother little girl was called Felicity
Another little girl was Sally Joy
The other was me, and I'm a boy.My name is Bill, and I'm a head case
They practice making up on my face
Yeah, I feel lucky if I get trousers to wear
Spend evenings taking hairpins from my hairChorus:
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But my ma won't admit it
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But if I say I am, I get itPut your frock on, Jean Marie
Plait your hair, Felicity
Paint your nails, little Sally Joy
Put this wig on, little boyChorus:
I wanna play cricket on the green
Ride my bike across the street
Cut myself and see my blood
I wanna come home all covered in mudI'm a boy, I'm a boy
But my ma won't admit it
I'm a boy, I'm a boy, I'm a boy
I'm a boy, I'm a boy, I'm a boy, I'm a boy
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
I'm a boy."

Wikipedia says: "The song was originally intended to be a part of a rock opera called 'Quads' which was to be set in the future where parents can choose the sex of their children."

Pete Townshend had a knack for writing songs about subjects few other rock musicians touched back during the 1960s— in "Tommy" from 1969, he wrote songs about trauma, bullying and incest, some things he knew of from personal experience.

-The Smiths

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jan 17 16 11:30 AM

I can't speak for others, of course, but the reason Lola doesn't inform my Crossdreaming, is my crossdreaming is about me as a woman; a cis-woman or more likely a stealth post-op TS who raises no suspicions . Its not about being a TS

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jan 17 16 11:51 AM

PipX wrote:
I can't speak for others, of course, but the reason Lola doesn't inform my Crossdreaming, is my crossdreaming is about me as a woman; a cis-woman or more likely a stealth post-op TS who raises no suspicions . Its not about being a TS

PipX,  By now, you probably can guess my views on this. I have nothing against stealth, but as the gold standard of trans success, I find it rather limiting. People have told me that I could probably go stealth with just a little work, and provided I decided to change my lifestyle a lot. But that would involve me surrending the very essence of who I am. I didn't do this to become a woman alone. I did it to embrace all of who I was. That would be impossible for me if the primary goal was to be completely stealth. I see so many in the trans community trying to fit into a box, and being miserable because that box doesn't fit perfectly. 

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jan 17 16 12:04 PM

You and I are different people April. I hope every time I post on these boards about why I crossdream, you won't answer that by saying that I am wrong. Crossdreaming is about personal feelings. I have total respect for yours. Please could you try to respect mine.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 17 16 12:23 PM

PipX wrote:
You and I are different people April. I hope every time I post on these boards about why I crossdream, you won't answer that by saying that I am wrong. Crossdreaming is about personal feelings. I have total respect for yours. Please could you try to respect mine.

I am not saying you are wrong at all, and I do respect your opinion and your right to live you are own life. As I have said elsewhere, we each have to find our own path. My comment is largely centered on this idea of stealth as being the defining element of success and failure in the trans community as a whole. I see its shadows everywhere in our community, and I wonder why it is so important. 

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jan 17 16 3:18 PM

Thanks for the reply April..  I think we should let this thread get back to the Songs in the title; I accept I'm at fault for the wandering from that path

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 17 16 4:34 PM

PipX wrote:

Hope you are confident that it doesn't bother me at all that Lola doesn't float your boat! I just think it's a fun song, brings back memories for me.  

I suppose Enya and Joni Mitchell among others also bring up crossdreaming for me as I love the beauty of their voices and music.  

That said, I'm like you in that if I was to transition I'd more likely remain in stealth, just living my life as a woman - although it seems likely I'll never know as I don't intend to cross that bridge.  :-)

Emma

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 18 16 5:14 AM

re The Who I'm a boy, yeah, an underacknowledged trans classic. underacknowledged perhaps cos it's ftm? perhaps cos folks didn't know what to make of it in the mid-60s, especially coming from a thoroughly male group?

re discussion above, for me crossdreaming is not dreaming about transitioning, although i can find the magical transformations of fiction sexy. so the songs that make me crossdream are mostly not songs actually about trans. on the old site there were 2 separate threads:

http://www.crossdreamlife.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=220

http://www.crossdreamlife.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=288

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jan 18 16 9:53 AM

Deborah Kate wrote:
re The Who I'm a boy, yeah, an underacknowledged trans classic. underacknowledged perhaps cos it's ftm? perhaps cos folks didn't know what to make of it in the mid-60s, especially coming from a thoroughly male group?

re discussion above, for me crossdreaming is not dreaming about transitioning, although i can find the magical transformations of fiction sexy. so the songs that make me crossdream are mostly not songs actually about trans. on the old site there were 2 separate threads:

http://www.crossdreamlife.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=220

http://www.crossdreamlife.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=288

Deborah Kate, I had always interpreted the song as MTF, about a boy whose mom rejects his boyhood and encourages (or at least doesn't stop) his feminization, which was one of my personal nightmares about my mom. However, I totally can see how it can be read as FTM, as you did. That makes it even more brilliant. I just found this blog post which discusses this song as a transgender anthem. https://themiddlespaces.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/the-whos-im-a-boy-as-transgender-anthem/
"
As a teenager I identified with the song because of my sense that my mother’s over-protectiveness and penchant to dote on me (when she wasn’t severely critiquing my choices and desires) was feminizing me. The song’s earnest refrain “I’m a boy! I’m a boy, but my Ma won’t admit it” was to me at the time all about asserting a right to masculine freedom and power and rejecting what the women who had the most influence over me (my mother, my sister, my grandmother, my teachers) would have me do and act, especially out of fear of my hurting myself."

-The Smiths

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jan 18 16 10:06 AM

And then there is this brief but memorable gender-flipping stanza from the Smiths' song "Sheila Take A Bow", an acknowledgment of how we harbor both male and female sides:
"Take my hand and off we stride
Oh, la...
You're a girl and I'm a boy
La la la lalalalala...
Take my hand and off we stride
Oh, La la la lalalalala...
I'm a girl and you're a boy
La la la lalalalala..."

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help