Lead

Nov 23 16 11:29 AM

Tags : :

As you might have noticed, we are facing some difficulties regarding accessing the forum.

Here is what Lefora told me about this:

//We have a profile server under maintenance, and your profile is on that sever. The boards are all up and fine, but if you're signed in with a profile that is on  that server, you're going to experience some trouble. 

The repairs are still running at the moment. By the way, not sure if I have told you this, but we are moving to new servers, so it's probably going to be a bit of a bumpy road for the next 8 days.

After that, I've been promised that it will be paradise :) We'll be on brand new, very fast servers.//

And right now I got the following message:

//I have an announcement here:

http://samporpass.com/index.php?topic=399.0 

The final maintenance run (taking longer than expected), is 60% done. Once we're all moved over (7 days now), and things are completely sorted in the new server location (add a few days possibly), the browsing experience is going to be much better than ever.//

So please be patient. We are in for a much better CDL experience!

Last Edited By: jackmolay Nov 23 16 11:32 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 2 16 3:22 PM

I appreciate we had warning, and I don't think we as members can complain since we get this for free... But taking a week to move servers does seem to be , technically, quite a long time. I would have liked to know at the start what Lefora's target for finishing the move was.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 3 16 12:18 AM

This has not been fun at all. I understand that moving all the Yuku and Lefora sites to new servers will cause problems, but this amount of downtime is not what anyone will consider acceptable. Still, I have been in contact with Lefora several times, and there is no doubt that they have worked 24/7 (literally!) to get this done.

This is, I suppose, the prize for choosing a cloud solution. As some of you will remember I had to move it when the old setup deteriorated and I could not get hold of Jason, our admin/technician. We had to outsource the technical part. So I am not saying I did the wrong ting. It simply wasn't an optimal choice.

The main problem facing the Lefora crew was the member database and the "profile servers". Moving the sites themselves over to the new servers was not that hard, and our forum was actually up for most of the transition period. Members were not able to sign in, however, and as soon as they were signed in they were not able to access the site at all, facing a meaningless error message.

But I am glad you are back, my friends! Let's get this forum up and running again :)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 3 16 3:04 AM

Oh I hope you don't think I was in anyway getting at you or your choices, Jack! What you do with this site -even defining the term Crossdreaming for me - is fabulous.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 3 16 4:21 AM

i'm not going to criticise Lefora for taking a long time when they are working hard doing something i don't understand at all, and i get the benefit for free. (it is annoying that they told us that it would take less time than it actually did, though).

we're better off with Lefora than with the errant Jason. i'd much rather rely on a company than an individual.

your dedication is indefatigable, Jack! xx

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 3 16 7:12 AM

It's fine. Being down for a couple days is not the end of the world. I'm sure the Lefora people are doing the best they can.

It seemed like activity on the forum was good before the switch. I just don't want the downtime to kill the momentum.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 4 16 2:43 AM

If you have not seen it already, here is Lefora's update on what happened:

Dear Lefora Supporters,  We realize that the past few weeks has been extremely frustrating, but we assure you that it will get much, much better.   

By way of some background, CrowdGather, the owner of Lefora reached out to forum industry leader, Tapatalk with a desire to preserve, enhance, and grow their free forum business. This was something that CrowdGather tried to on their own, but with difficulties obtaining funding, CrowdGather has been left with an infrastructure that is dated and minimal engineering resources with which to make any real progress.

With its team of 35 engineers and extensive experience in developing mobile solutions for forums, Tapatalk is arguably the leading technology company in this space.  As part of the relationship, Tapatalk will take over all engineering and hosting support services for CrowdGather forum properties effective immediately.  This will result in a move to an infrastructure built on IBM Softlayer and Microsoft Azure- an order of magnitude more robust and scaleable than what CrowdGather could achieve.  

We had expected the migration to be complete yesterday, but a database server crashed during the relaunch causing significant outages.  There was no loss of data, but definitely an annoying loss of access. For this we truly apologize.  We are working on reconfiguring the database again, but Lefora is massive, comprising over a decade of posts and tens of thousands of communities and there is no modern infrastructure that Lefora can easily be ported over with.  We anticipate the move will be over by the end of this week, barring any other unforeseen circumstances.  

When the move is done, you will see steady improvements and progress including faster load times, improved moderation efficiency, and of course an amazing mobile interface.  We believe that the move will set Lefora up for growth over the next several years which is why we ask you to bear with us during this time.  

Your support means everything to us, but CrowdGather was down to only one engineer which made it impossible to make changes.  Now things will be better. Going forward, we will post an update of expected outages when databases are being synchronized.  

We will try our best to do these when Lefora  experiences the lightest traffic in order to minimize interruptions.  We will also let you know when the move is done so you can report any feedback from your membership which needs to be addressed or corrected.  Thank you for your continued support and patience. Very soon we hope to be in a position that makes up for all of this confusion.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Dec 20 16 3:00 AM

I seem to be having a glitch on the forum. I can't access my profile page. I can view everyone else's just fine, but not my own. I just get an error message that it can't be reached. I'm also not able to access my private messages either. I tried logging out and logging back in, but that didn't help.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 20 16 5:11 AM

Josie wrote:
I seem to be having a glitch on the forum. I can't access my profile page. I can view everyone else's just fine, but not my own. I just get an error message that it can't be reached. I'm also not able to access my private messages either. I tried logging out and logging back in, but that didn't help.

No problem for me.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help