Lead

Aug 19 16 3:27 AM

Tags : :

The new Michelle Rodriguez star vehicle was called Tomboy. Now titled (Re)Assignment, the film positions Rodriguez as male hitman Frank Kitchen, who is tricked into undergoing gender reassignment surgery by a "rogue doctor" (Sigourney Weaver) who turns him into a woman. After the apparently violent surgery, the newly female Kitchen goes on a hunt for revenge.

I am not suprised that trans activists find the whole concept alienating, to say the least.

But the script does read like a forced feminization fantasy. You cannot argue with that. So, is Walter Hill a crossdreamer?

More here: 
Transgender community disappointed by bizarre new Michelle Rodriguez film '(Re)Assignment'

Last Edited By: jackmolay Apr 4 17 10:43 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Aug 19 16 5:58 AM

I don't want to get too deep into this, forced feminization (of myself or a character to live through it vicariously) has been a large part of my crossdreaming since it started, but I do feel one of the comments in the article has it wrong.

"Why is being a transgender woman depicted as a cruel punishment?"

The protagonist of the film is supposed to be a cis-male.  It not showing being a trans-woman as a cruel punishment so much as it would be showing that forcing someone who is not trans, to undergo SRS would be a horrible crime.  If anything, based upon the available information, it seems to have a theme of being the wrong gender is not something anyone wants to experience.

That said, the whole thing sounds so terribly far fetched and unrealisitc I can see why many/most transpeople would be offended by the film. Showing SRS surgery as a torture without showing how helpful it is to the people who need it (which I assume is the case), does the community no favors.  I can see people like Walt Heyer and other RW propagandist using it to attack transpeople and spreading their misinformation.

Hopefully, the filmmaker hears the concerns and (assuming such themes are not in there already) adds elements to the movie so as to make it more sensitive and prevent it from being used by the anti-trans assholes like that.

I will reserve judgement till I know the full plot of the movie.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 19 16 6:53 AM

The protagonist of the film is supposed to be a cis-male.  It not showing being a trans-woman as a cruel punishment so much as it would be showing that forcing someone who is not trans, to undergo SRS would be a horrible crime.  If anything, based upon the available information, it seems to have a theme of being the wrong gender is not something anyone wants to experience.

I agree. I think seeing this plot as "offensive" is taking what is supposed to be a fiction movie too seriously. Besides, SRS can actually be a torture for a cis person, so that's why they will probably show it that way.  Of course, until the movie is out judgements will be based solely on previews and trailers, so maybe my mind will change.

The fact that some random assholes will use the film as anti-trans propaganda is not the director's fault imo. And, honestly, if you're using a movie plot as an argument to prove something, you're a complete moron; so these people end up disqualifying themselves.

BTW, the actual plot sounds terrible, so I will probably end up not watching this film anyway xD

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 21 16 5:04 AM

How is this much different than the plot of Victim?

It is not actually. And it is also similar to Almodovar's The Skin I Live In. And as far as I recall, no one made the point that The Skin I Live In was a transgender movie.

It could be a question of the timing. Transgender issue is on the top of the media agenda these days. Or it could be a matter of the type of movie presented. Victim and The Skin I Live In were presented as horror movies.

(It was a crossdreamer fantasy, though....)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 21 16 4:06 PM

Its difficult to speak for trans people - and in this I mean people who are openly trans and do transition - from the perspective of a crossdreamer, but I would suggest the best approach to a bad film trans-ness is to laugh it off, not be offended. If we can, come up with better stories.... And there are better stories about Trans-ness around in drama

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 22 16 1:22 AM

Don't forget this new movie, Reassignment, has the push of the big studios. Victim was a low budget horror aimed at a niche horror audience, and did not have the pulling power of a major distributer behind it. The Skin I Live in (wonderful movie) had a limited distribution aimed at the art house circuit. In the UK foreign language movies are usually reserved for independent cinemas of which there are only a small number. So this new film is going to attract attention good or bad. The producers are probably very excited about the attention it's getting before its even been marketed. There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about. Personally I'm looking forward to perhaps the first forced feminisation movie aimed at mainstream audiences. It will put my own movies to shame LOL....

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help