#21 [url]

Apr 12 16 9:06 PM

Kippi wrote:
Many years ago I watched a Hitchcock film starring Tippi Hedren and liked the sound of her name.

For myself I went with an initial 'K', simply because it felt right. I'd noticed that little girls like to skip, but "Skippy" felt too boyish. So I dropped the 'S'.

I didn't find out until later that there are people actually named "Kippi" and that many of them are male.

Well, Kippi is a very sweet, feminine, and unique name. I love it!

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Apr 14 16 8:53 AM

Kippi wrote:
Many years ago I watched a Hitchcock film starring Tippi Hedren and liked the sound of her name.

For myself I went with an initial 'K', simply because it felt right. I'd noticed that little girls like to skip, but "Skippy" felt too boyish. So I dropped the 'S'.

I didn't find out until later that there are people actually named "Kippi" and that many of them are male.

I searched it and the first result is a female singer, though. :)

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 15 16 5:28 AM

Well for me Fyona was from years of watching Shrek with the kids and symbolize the dual nature of the real me and the double life I lead. A princess by day on ogre by night (well not that bad), and the y is because I am different.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 24 16 7:59 PM

Not going to transition, but I guess I could answer anyway about my female persona's name.  It's a pretty easy switch from going from "Andy" to "Andi", so I use Andi as my Second Life female account's name. Since they're pronounced the same, I also use "Andi-chan" to distinguish it, which is what one of the girls I met from Japan would call me. Also nice in that it reminds me of "Ran-chan" from Ranma 1/2. "Andi" is such an uncommon female name that I suspect there are more males calling themselves "Andi" on occasion than there are actual females with that name. Met another user in SL who also was called "Andi", but whose real name was "Andy".

I use the same names to denote my "real life" female persona as well. I guess if anyone on the boards is "specifically" addressing my female persona, you can call me Andi or Andi-chan and I will respond. Otherwise, LogicalVulcan, Logical, or Vulcan will do fine.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 19 16 4:00 PM

I don't have any plan to actually transition, but for the sake of crossdreaming, I settled on the name Josie years ago.

There is a guy years ago that at the time was probably my best friend. He and I ended up losing contact and he moved away. I don't want to get into the details of why he and I lost contact, but I do miss him from time to time. He was one of the few people that I think ever really understood me. I never told him about my crossdreaming, but think on some level he just knew. Honestly, when I think back now, I think he was a crossdreamer too. There was just kind of this unspoken understanding between the two of us. It really is a shame that he's not around anymore, but I digress... 

Years ago I had a thing for the actress Rachael Leigh Cook (who happens to be my avatar pic). She was in this movie Josie and the Pussycats, which my friend and I both loved. The movie was not a big hit, but we enjoyed the satirical humor of it, and Ms. Cook was adorable playing the role of Josie. She stimulated a lot of my crossdreaming in those days. My friend and I would often jokingly quote and reference that movie. There was a cute moment in the movie where Josie was feeling down about her band's music career and one of her bandmates says to her in an attempt to cheer her up, "Who's a rockstar?" Josie sheeplishly responds, "I am." My friend and I played softball together. Whenever I was feeling down about not playing well, to help me shake it off, he would say to me jokingly, "Who's an All-Star?" I would reply, "I am." I couldn't help but smile when we would have that exchange. He never once actually called me Josie, but I sort of became the 'Josie' in our little world of running jokes. 

I've grown to love the name and adopted it as my female personna. Now it almost feels as much my name as my male name. 

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Nov 19 16 4:55 PM

I do not have any specific name for crossdreaming. My forum nickname is just an alias, but it is not random. Ok, I feel more connected to my various internet aliases, that to my given name. Choosing different names in different fantasies feels right, because there is no single name for now, that really matches me.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 20 16 1:04 PM

Barbara Haskell wrote:
Choosing different names in different fantasies feels right, because there is no single name for now, that really matches me.

i can understand that. most of me is shapeshifting like that - why not in fantasy? but actually in the case of the name i love having a particular f name. like Josie, it feels as much my name as my male name. having a name gives Deborah a more definite existence, outside of my own fantasies. people here talk about Deborah - as far as they are concerned that is who i am, which helps me to believe that yes it is really who iam. it's like i love it when i'm referred to as 'she'. xx

Last Edited By: Deborah Kate Nov 20 16 1:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 20 16 1:49 PM

Deborah Kate wrote:

Barbara Haskell wrote:
Choosing different names in different fantasies feels right, because there is no single name for now, that really matches me.

i can understand that. most of me is shapeshifting like that - why not in fantasy? but actually in the case of the name i love having a particular f name. like Josie, it feels as much my name as my male name. having a name gives Deborah a more definite existence, outside of my own fantasies. people here talk about Deborah - as far as they are concerned that is who i am, which helps me to believe that yes it is really who iam. it's like i love it when i'm referred to as 'she'. xx

I do experiment with a lot of different fanatasy scenarios and even sometimes change the way I look in different fantacies, but for me, the name has just become a constant. I have dabbled with a couple other names, but they just don't resonate the same with me.

Deb, it does feel good to be called 'she'. I remember an incident once with the guy I talked about above. He asked me a question once (I don't remember the question, but it doesn't matter) and I gave him the right answer. His response to me was, "Good girl!" I kind of froze and looked at him and said, "....What? .....Where did that come from?" He then realized what he did and just kind of laughed it off like it was a mistake. When he said it, it came across as something that just popped out of his subconscious...like a Freudian slip. Even though we both sort of laughed it off, I secretly loved it. It made my inner female feel recognized and vindicated. Like I said before, I think deep down he understood me in a way no one else did. I didn't have to tell him. Somehow he knew. 

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Nov 24 16 4:48 AM

maybe like crossdreaming in general, my pleasure at being called Deborah/Debbie/Debs/Deb is solidifying from thrill to a deep sense of rightness, of finally being recognized and acknowledged. this is actually very moving, tear-inducing. xx

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

May 7 17 1:37 PM

...with time, what has been only an alias, becomes more like a choosen name. Recently I was listening to some podcast, got distracted, and suddenly I hear "... Barbara .. " from my headphones. First, instinctive reaction was, is somebody calling me? Oh, it was just a video from YouTube...

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

May 9 17 10:23 AM

I'm glad you are feeling more at home with the name!

And thanks for brining my names discussion up the list again; I#m always interesting in how people chhose

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 9 17 2:59 PM

Always loved the name Monique. Think it has an elegant flair to it, while at the same time describing a warm-blooded and somewhat maternal kind of woman. In other words, I think it's a perfect fit for me, and I really couldn't imagine being called anything else. smiley: laugh

Don't know exactly when I realized Monique was my real female name, but I did have an after school teacher by the name of Monica when I was around 8-9 nine years old who I liked very much. That probably contributed to me liking the name. Also the character of "Monique Duchamps" - weirdly enough - (played by Angela Richards), from the classic BBC TV-series "Secret Army" (1977-1979), might also have influenced the pick without me entirely realizing it. The series ran on Swedish television for a few summers in the early 80's.
2a9ec585d1364e52873758aff385ad4b_r.jpg

Weird because it's set in Brussels during the German occupation and it's actually about a resistance movement that returns shot down Allied aircrew to Britain - not a crossdreamy subject at all if you ask me! On the other hand, it's of course a period piece, and I've always been crazy about 1940's fashion, so that might have had something to do with it. smiley: happy

(Please note, I'm referring to the actual TV series right now, not the 80's comedy spoof "Allo, allo!")

"We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting."

- Khalil Gibran

If I cannot be a feminine traditional woman, what's the point of being a woman?

- Me

Last Edited By: Monique May 9 17 7:30 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

May 10 17 10:03 AM

Names are interesting, so thanks for revitalising this topic or else I'd probably never have found it and added this.
My given name doesn't have a female counterpart. There are a few female names that are near, but none of those really match. Aside from my given name I have two middle names, one from my godfather and one from my godmother, and they couldn't find a male equivalent for the latter so I've actually got a legally registered female name that I could quite easily switch to if I so desired. And Eveline (French pronunciation) is a really nice name I think, however I'm compartmentalising too much at this point and therefore I've gone for another name entirely.
Fabienne means "grower of beans". Just like a lot of names in my family, though we're not French ourselves, are French in origin and Fabienne doesn't seem out of place, neither in its origin or its meaning; my grandparents owned a farm and I spent quite a bit of time there during my childhood, including sowing and picking beans. Fabienne is a nice name, but not posh or over pretentious as something along those lines would seem thoroughly out of place with me. Well, that's it really. It just fits for now.
Pipx, what about the name Cara? You seem to like starting with the C, plus you like the name Sarah, so this is probably as close as you can get. I associate the name with this stunning voice though:

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 10 17 1:45 PM

Not posh? I think Fabienne is a fab name. smiley: wink

"We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting."

- Khalil Gibran

If I cannot be a feminine traditional woman, what's the point of being a woman?

- Me

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

May 11 17 10:39 PM

Maybe I should've clarified that where I'm from the name doesn't have any exotic or posh associations. Since I live in the UK now I can see how French names in general are viewed as exotic or posh, but I didn't think in those terms when I wrote my previous post.
X, Fabienne

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

May 12 17 1:31 AM

I agree that any names with a French sound feel kind of exotic and thus also posh - and Fabienne looks to me like a femme version of Fabian, which also looks posh and a name like Tarquin or Sebastian I'd expect to see in a public school

Pleased to have another Brit in the forum though!

Yes, Cara, maybe as an abbreviation of Caroline is def one I would consider. I don't like the name Carol though so I'd have to insists it was shortened to Caro, Carrie or indeed Cara.. Thanks for making the suggestion though (but

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

May 12 17 3:01 AM

You're right. It's the female version of Fabian. And Brit? Nah, I'm from the other side of the Channel. Granted my wife is British and most people in daily life assume that I am too based on my fluency and accent when I speak English, even though it's my third language. I'm resigning myself to the fact that I'll be viewed as posh now if I ever introduce myself as Fabienne in the offline world, just a working class type of posh. ;)

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

May 14 17 6:25 AM

Well Karise Aikina is just an alias but it is based on something that has a lot of meaning to me. Basically she was a character that represented my inner me which I created for a Science Fiction story. Karise comes from the Australian singer Karise Eden and funnily enough is also a town in Denmark. Aikina came about because I wanted her to have a very Japanese orientated name since the story had a lot of Samurai influences. She also ended up as my character name in a lot of RPG's.

I'm not uncomfortable telling you all that my feal femme name is Kirsten and for a long time I never considered changing it and found I couldn't (long story based around compartmentalisation) but I'm at the point now where Karise has actually really started to grow on me. LOL. Maybe it's time for a new start or something so I prefer you all call me Karise. :)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help