#22 [url]

May 29 17 2:21 PM

lal2828 wrote:
OK, Kinky Boots I saw (my first musical anyway).  The gender-bending protaganist said something interesting to the females who worked with him and adored him at the shoe factory where he ended up working.  He said that the reason why females loved him is because they love the characteristics in the females that they are seeing in him.  This is helpful to me in several ways:

1. The gender bender likes females, therefore, not necessarily a gay man, as is conventionally thought of transvestites.  
2. When females like the gender bender, are they a sub-group of females that prefer female traits in their male mates?  Are females liking themselves?  Are we all looking for ourselves in others?
3. If the above are a sub-group, would that make their interest......... paraphilic?  Why would the majority of females prefer alpha males?  Evolutionary remnant? 

Then, mmm....  Cousins?   Haha, sorry. Couldn't control myself.
But yeah, whatever causes those interests: fluoride, chemtrails... we need more of that for sure.
There are indeed women that like feminine traits in their partner, just look at Michael Jackson.
Is that self love? I don't think so. Paraphillic? Nonesense.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

May 31 17 5:56 AM

Interesting, how I liked this video, but when tried to watch any of the other ones, I couldn't get any of it. I don't get people, who understand Lacan. It's like a gibberish, that pretends to be a language.

Your mind is software. Program it.

Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is approaching. Fight it!

© "Eclipse Phase" by Posthuman Studios

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

May 31 17 12:46 PM

Come on, Lain. Who do you want to fool? We all know you've spent entire weekends binging on Zizek. And it totally made sense to you. Look, we all have been there. Stop denying yourself. The sooner you accept it, the better.
Or, to put it in lacanian terms:
(a->>[Oðs])(«--»M+)P/--||¢#û   *
where ¢# stands for a hatched Egg
Open yourself and receive the word. Don't end up like this young lad here:
[url]

* interesting piece of trivia: when fed as code to the perl 7 virtual machine, it returns a string with the second letter of the lexicographically ordered list of all Donald Trump's tweets

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 1 17 3:22 AM

You telepathy have failed you.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 6 17 10:49 PM

Xora wrote:
Offtopic: That went into a trash bin too, when Terminator 3 and other sequels started popping out. 

You had one job, Hollywood!

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 7 17 7:01 AM

Ah, I watched 'Arrival' on the flight to and from Canada last week, and according to the plot of that the future is set, we just haven't experienced it yet so we think we are making our own decisions when we actually aren't, or something. 
I mean, she wouldn't have known what the private phone number of the Chinese general was, had she not experienced a dream of meeting him at a party in the future where he told her that it was her ringing his private number and repeating his wife's dying words to him over the phone that got him to change his mind about attacking the aliens. 
That meant that she also knew her daughters future was already set in stone, before she was even born, she knew she was going to die prematurely of a terrible illness, likely cancer, but she still went ahead and got pregnant with her anyway despite knowing how eventually traumatic it would be to have to raise such a doomed child. 

Oh and erm, belated spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched it yet. 
Weird film anyway, not quite like 'Independence Day', but better than 'Skyline' I guess, but the linguistics aspect was pretty cool..
http://blog.wolfram.com/2017/01/31/analyzing-and-translating-an-alien-language-arrival-logograms-and-the-wolfram-language/
[url=

Last Edited By: Xora Jun 7 17 12:34 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jun 7 17 10:11 AM

Xora, I saw the movie in the theater. I found it rather disappointing, given the hype about it. I believe doing a story that involves jumping back and forth in time is always very difficult to do well.

When I was young, I was both fascinated with destiny, and self empowerment philosophy. Those are two concepts that don't reconcile with one another very well. I sort of evolved this idea that life comes down to a few key moments where we choose one path or another, but once we commit to that path, we end up locked into a series of events until we come to another major junction. So recognizing those key moments and choosing wisely really determines our lives. I suspect that many gender dysphoric people become philosophers and spend a lot of time pondering the idea of having a destiny.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:17 PM

Xora, I advise you to edit your post and add spoiler warning BEFORE you give out the plot. Just in case, you know. Some people are sensitive about it. And while I'm not entirely sure on certain concepts that movie presents us with, it was a good sci-fi film, worth watching.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jun 8 17 2:23 AM

That was kind of the joke, to give you the spoiler warning after giving you the plot, just goes to prove that that aspect of your destiny is in fact set.
You can't now unknow that aspect of your future, but you can still decide whether you still want to have the drawn-out emotional experience
of watching the entire film, even if you now know part of the ending in advance.

Not quite the same as knowing in advance that your daughter is going to die I grant you, but it's kind of the same thing..
That small aspect of the plot isn't really pivotal to the full experience, which is more about the visuals and the music and so forth.
It's like telling you that at the end of Contact there is no physical proof that Ellie ever went anywhere in the Machine Pod,
well apart from her personal camera recording 18 hours of static. It doesn't really spoil the experience and emotional tension of the film.

Actually I do recommend it, I already had the blu-ray sitting in my player before choosing to watch it on the plane,
and then because I only got half-way through I got the iTunes rental on my iPad as well.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jun 8 17 1:01 PM

I did find the "future visions" aspects of the movie and its use in the plot a bit lame, but it came across as a very good movie nevertheless. Not great, but very good. Real science fiction, unlike pretty much everything that goes by that name, other exceptions being "Primer", "Moon" and the like.

To begin with, future vision aside, I seem to remember that the Saphir-Whorf is vividly illustrated in a couple of other ways. In connection to this there is also the idea that language is some sort of game that has to be teached ostensibly (and some of the details of this) and that can run on different sets of implicit rules whose difference might be elusive at furst but ultimately crucial (there is this mention that the Chinese are using the game of majong to teach the aliens to play and the implications of this). The shadow of mystery surrounding the aliens' motivation and the significance of their body language, etc. is also well kept IMO.

The main character other than having a powerful personality is also totally relatable; one gets a very good feeling of the spirit that guides her, the emotional sense that her dedication and love for linguistics has in her life. Jesus, I went out of the theater and it was like: I want some Chomsky, now!

It is worth pointing hat the original story by Ted Chiang the whole issue of time is given a subtler treatment not just in terms of the concept, but also in terms of presentation (the written word deals better with abstract notions). The key idea is that of a variational principle in physics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_variational_principles_in_physics

«A variational principle in physics is an alternative method for determining the state or dynamics of a physical system, by identifying it as an extremum (minimum, maximum or saddle point) of a function or functional (...)
Although equivalent mathematically, there is an important philosophical difference between the differential equations of motion and their integral counterpart. The differential equations are statements about quantities localized to a single point in space or single moment of time. (...)
In particular, the fixing of the final state appears to give the action principle a teleological character which has been controversial historically. »

Last Edited By: oreb Jun 8 17 1:41 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jun 8 17 1:42 PM

Now that we are at it, let me mention a classic of SF literature: Solaris. What our "trending" philosophy Slavoj Zizek has to say aboutTarkovski's adaptation could make for some juicy interpretations:

[url=

«That’s the fundamental question. Why do we need this virtual supplement? Our libido needs an illusion in order to sustain itself. (...)
What makes Solaris so touching is that, at least potentially, it confronts us with this tragic subjective position of the woman, his wife, who is aware that she has no consistency, no full being of her own. (...) She is just his dream realised. And her true love for him is expressed in her desperate attempts to erase herself, to swallow poison or whatever, just to clear the space, because she guesses that he wants this. It’s horrifying, isn’t it? (...) You can abandon him or her, kill him or her, whatever. But a ghost, a spectral presence, is much more difficult to get rid of. It sticks to you as a kind of a shadowy presence. (...)  What we get here is the lowest male mythology. This idea that woman doesn’t exist on her own. That a woman is merely a man’s dream realised or even, as radical, anti-feminists claim, the man’s guilt realised. Women exist because male desire got impure. If man cleanses his desire,gets rid of dirty material, fantasies, woman ceases to exist. At the end of the film, we get a kind of a Holy Communion, a reconciliation of him not with his wife, but with his father. »

Last Edited By: oreb Jun 8 17 1:54 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jun 9 17 5:54 AM

I'm so watching Solaris.  Thanks for the introduction and synopsis! 

Now, as to females and the idea of females........I've had to ponder on this myself even if I tend to think the other direction.  There's no escape into one gender or the other.  The MTF lesbian, Kate Bornstein, said it right that there is no binary.  The opposite of male AND female is neither.  Therefore, to say the "opposite" is inaccurate.  So what label is correct? I have no idea.

Biology has it that all fetuses look female before the hormones and organ formations do the work.  So, more female-like is the origin of life. So fine, that's biology.

Judeo-Christianity (culture) has Adam (male) existing before female, BUT there was Eve with God and the angels in Michaelangelo's famous finger-touch painting, The Creation of Adam.  Some interpret this to mean that Eve existed with God all along.  Then, there was Lilith in the Bible as being Adam's first wife before Eve.  THEREFORE, there was a lot of female existence before Adam, which is what biology is saying too!

Last Edited By: lal2828 Jun 9 17 8:31 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jun 9 17 8:15 AM

Well if you consider evolution and the tree of life and so forth, then obviously the female principle came first because all primative multicellular organisms reproduced asexually, and sexual reproduction is a more recent development.

But that's still hundreds of millions of years ago, as sexual reproduction developed as a strategy long before the original split between plants and animals, much less tetrapods and mammals and primates and hominids and so forth. So we can say since all mammals reproduce sexually, and Adam and Eve were mammals, Eve came first, but then Eve wasn't created from Adams rib, more like a creature that wasn't quite a human exactly gave birth to both Adam and Eve, and that creature was already a female, not that they were probably brother and sister exactly...

Look attempting to mix up actual biology and religious mythology really doesn't work that well..

Last Edited By: Xora Jun 9 17 8:39 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help